Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Company

To be redundant, my position this summer is in Company Management. I feel that it is necessary to define what a "company" means. All you Skidmore kids out there, you know what I'm talking about. At the theater department at Skidmore, we stress the importance of the company, that one group of people works together doing every task needed to achieve one goal: to put on a great piece of theater. When we're feeling sappy (and also want waaay too much attention during Theater Company) we say that "Theater company is like a family, we all love each other". At Skidmore that seems really cheesey, but at the Playhouse, I finally am starting to see what Company means. This theater has felt more like a family than almost any other theater I have worked for.

Now that I have established the similarity between Company and Family here, I should probably mention that Bruce knows how to take care of this family. It really does take a special person to know how to manage a company, one who just works well with people: who can remember who is a vegetarian and who isn't, what flavor steaz is most popular, who likes pepsi vs. coke, etc. You have to be ATTENTIVE and be able to pick up on the habits/likes/dislikes of every company member.

and what is most remarkable about Bruce is that when I say he is attentive to every company member, I don't just mean the actors or directors or stage managers. I mean EVERYONE. including the interns and apprentices. I've never felt so special not just as an employee, but as a person. I think that even if I don't end up working as a company manager, I would like to be as caring and as attentive as my boss is.